Sports Premium Funding
The government is providing funding for primary schools for the academic year 17/18 (we will be receiving £18,020) . This money aims to help schools improve the quality of PE lessons, and to increase the variety of sports offered to pupils in both lessons and extra-curricular clubs.
Here at Watton we intend to use the funding to give all our pupils opportunities to try as many different sports as possible, in both competitive and non-competitive environments. We will encourage all pupils to participate in extra-curricular sport by providing a wide range of clubs, both at lunchtimes and after school.
The funding will also enable us to further up skill our teachers, and provide them with the resources to deliver sustainable high quality PE lessons. It is important to us to support not only our less active pupils, but also those who are gifted and talented. This might be by directing them to local clubs with whom we have links or by organising for a quality assured coach to come in and run a workshop for those children.
We wish to extend our pupils by offering them the chance to compete for the school at various sporting competitions. Providing transport for these competitions will now be covered by the funding, meaning we can enter more teams and give more children this opportunity.
In the past we have used our Primary Funding on;
- Transport to take pupils to sports festivals & competitions.
- A School Sports Partnership PE Consultant, to help the school with its development plan, to train the teachers with achieving outstanding PE lessons, and training the MSAs with lunchtime supervision.
- Two iPads and cases, to help staff and pupils evaluate their skills in lessons.
- A qualified coach for lunchtime clubs in Cheerleading and Gymnastics.
- Up skill the PE team.
- More equipment, such as different types of balls and archery/Kurling/Handball equipment as requested by the pupils..
- Extra help with the running of extra curriculum clubs.
- Me and My software for pupil voice and auditing.
- Easy access storage shed to keep all the equipment in for all lunchtime/after school clubs and general playground activities.
- Saracens coach for well being week for KS2 pupils.
Impact of Funding for the year 16/17:
This year we have focussed our spending on upskilling the teachers and subject leaders;
- Subject leaders attended the Hertfordshire Sports Partnership Primary P.E. Conference. They attended various workshops and networked with companies and teachers from other schools in Hertfordshire.
- 2 teachers attended an early years P.E. inset. They learnt how to apply various skills in the early years settings, focussing on the basic skills of movement.
- Subject leader has been present in many of the P.E. lessons throughout the year, working with every teacher at some point. This started off as team teaching, meaning the teachers could discuss ideas and ask any questions about how to teach a high quality P.E. lesson. It moved onto the subject leader being in the lessons as support, still being able to offer ideas and advice to the teachers about their teaching, differentiation and equipment use.
- Subject leader is completing the level 6 qualification in primary P.E. subject leadership. This course looks at the role of subject leader and how to carry out this job effectively for the subject of P.E.
We have spent some of the funding on transport. This enabled whole classes to attend half day festivals, getting the whole class active and learning new skills, as well as representing the school.
Some of the funding has been spent on a coaching session during our well-being week. This enrichment gave the children a chance to experience a high quality session of rugby and the staff observed this as CPD.
We used some of the money to buy the new edition of the Safe Practice in P.E. book. This book shows staff how to teach P.E. safely and effectively. We also bought a new boot cleaner which has enabled the children to have access to the field for sport throughout the year, whilst keeping the playground clean and safe for active break times.